Sunday 5 April 2009

Match Report: High Lane v Hayfield

Sunday 5th April, 2009

This was Hayfield Junior's first game quickly followed by their second. It seemed that half of the village made the journey to High Lane for this much anticipated fixture.

Match 1: High Lane 1 - 4 Hayfield

The match got of to a great start with keeper and captain Lewis Chadwick winning the toss and electing to kick-off. A nervy start followed with Hayfield's players finding their feet against a well organised High Lane.

The deadlock was broken after five minutes with a stunning left foot strike across the face of goal into the top right corner by Michael Deaville.

A spell of pressure from Hayfield followed but on the ten minute mark High Lane broke from defence to charge up field through the heart of Hayfield's defence and drew level.

The second half kicked off and following a couple of runs at goal, the hard working Josh Harwood got his reward tucking Hayfield's second under the High Lane keeper.

The next 7 or eight minutes saw some end to end stuff with High Lane's players, their quick footed captain in particular, breaking in dangerous formation. Hayfield's defensive pairing of Isaac Young and Ben Dean coped aimiably.

The game was sealed with a late brace from the always dangerous Luke Adderley. Luke's sheer determination and skillful control of the ball making life difficult for the High Lane back line.

Match 2: High Lane 1 - 1 Hayfield

An altogether different game this one. The game started well for Hayfield with Luke Adderley winning an early penalty. However, Luke was only able to smash the ball against the post where it rebounded into the hands of the grateful High Lane keeper.

This seemed to knock the wind out of Hayfield and sustained pressure from High Lane meant they went in front on 6 minutes.

High Lane kept the pressure up but good work from midfield dynamo Charlie Craig and some stout defending from Callum Gerrard and Joe Brooks kept the defecit to just one goal.

On the stroke of half time, Luke Adderly scored his third of the day after a goalmouth scramble.

Hayfield started the second half looking tired. Lewis "the cat" Chadwick made a string of fine saves to keep High Lane at bay. The pressure was mounting and Hayfield were struggling.

High Lane continued to dominate possession breaking into Hayfield's box in numbers. Hayfield were stretched and only some last gasp tackling from Ben Dean and some great running back from Joe Brooks and Isaac Young kept Hayfield in the game.

A hard fought draw, one that was applauded rapturously by the appreciative crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to keep this website a child-friendly place, all comments will be moderated. When you make a comment please leave your name.